Learn about your rights as a tenant and how to get help on renting problems.
Join this helpful conversation with Nicole Grgas: Manager, Hunter Tenants’ Advice and Advocacy Service (HTAAS) Cath Mahony Peer Worker at Community Disability Alliance Hunter, and host Duhita Lewis, Community Legal Education Co-ordinator, Hunter Community Legal Centre to learn more.
This is a Newcastle Libraries REAL production.
The information provided in this session is for information purposes only. It must not be relied on as legal advice. You should seek individual legal advice about your own particular circumstances.
- Community Disability Alliance Hunter – CDAH- is the local Disabled People’s organisation in the Hunter. We are run for an by people with disability http://www.cdah.org.au/about
- The Hunter Tenants’ Advice and Advocacy Service (HTAAS) is an independent, secular, not-for-profit, membership-based co-operative providing tenants, Tenant Advocates, and community workers information, advocacy, legal advice, and (where appropriate) representation at the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal ( NCAT) https://www.tenants.org.au/taas/htaas
- The Hunter Community Legal Centre (HCLC) is a not-for-profit organisation that provides free legal assistance to people who live, work or study in the Newcastle and Hunter community https://www.hunterclc.com.au/
- The Department of Fair Trading can help with information about renting, buying, selling and renovating property www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au
- The Department of Communities and Justice can help with information to help you find or keep your housing, how to apply for private rental assistance or social housing, understand your rights and responsibilities as a tenant or request help with a property and find out more about management transfers https://www.facs.nsw.gov.au/housing
- The Share Housing Survival Guide from Redfern Legal Centre | Inner Sydney Tenants' Advice & Advocacy Service. www.sharehousing.org
- The Tenant information Statement from the Department of fair trading is a guide to help you understand “What you must know before you start renting” https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/608382/Tenant-information-statement.pdf