Alright, who let the cat go to space? In the second episode of this 2-parter, Jack and Justin talk about the later years of space animals, from Soviet 'hooliganism' to sexy frogs. (CW: discussion of spiders from 29:13 to 35:06.)
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF COUNTRY: Mates in Space is made on Kaurna, Gadigal and Wurundjeri Country, never ceded. We pay respect to Elders past, present and emerging. We also pay respect to other First Nation peoples.
ABOUT US: Mates in Space is a podcast about how we’re going to get to space without taking all of Earth’s bulls**t up with us! Each week, your hosts Jack and Justin will tell a different space story, in preparation for Australia’s exciting new future among the stars. It’s a bit nerdy, a bit sciency, and a lot of fun.
Mates in Space is brought to you by Ampel Audio, Jack Eaton and Justin McArthur. For more info, check out our website at http://matesin.space
SOCIAL LINKS: Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/matesinspace
TikTok, for some reason: https://www.tiktok.com/@matesinspace
- NASA (1998) 'A Brief History of Animals in Space': https://history.nasa.gov/animals.html
- Wikipedia, 'Animals in Space': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animals_in_space
- Top Tenz (2010) 'Top 10 Animal Astronauts': https://www.toptenz.net/top-10-animals-astronauts-in-space.php
- European Society of Dog and Animal Welfare (2014) 'Soviet space dogs': https://www.esdaw.eu/soviet-space-dogs.html
- Habr (2018) 'The era of the dog: names and stories from space exploration in the USSR' (in Russian): https://habr.com/ru/post/374197/
- Asif Siddiqi (2000) Challenge to Apollo: the Soviet Union and the space race, 1945-1974.
- The Atlantic (2013) 'The Doll That Helped the Soviets Beat the U.S. to Space': https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/03/the-doll-that-helped-the-soviets-beat-the-us-to-space/274400/
- Valentina's Corner (2016) Russian Borscht Recipe: https://valentinascorner.com/borscht/#recipe
- UK National Space Centre (2018) 'Zond 5: Tortoises at the Moon': https://spacecentre.co.uk/blog-post/zond-5-tortoises-at-the-moon/
- Henry Nicholls (2011, archived) 'Cameroon’s Gagarin: The Afterlife of Ham the Astrochimp': https://web.archive.org/web/20200801112111/http://thewayofthepanda.blogspot.com/2011/02/cameroons-gagarin-afterlife-of-ham.html
- Washington Post (1983) 'Taxidermy Is The Wrong Stuff': https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1983/01/27/taxidermy-is-the-wrong-stuff/db9b8616-54a9-4649-80d8-9d701d64ba62/
- Newsweek (2019) 'These Are All the Animals That Have Been Launched Into Space': https://www.newsweek.com/laika-dog-all-animals-space-1469393
- Science Alert (2020) 'Spiders in Space Reveal The Weird Things That Happen to Webs in Microgravity': https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-what-happens-to-spiders-webs-in-space
- SciShow Space (2016) 'Why We Send Animals to Space': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-eisyuBseA
- Animal Wire (2013) 'Zero Gravity Frogs In Space': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csVTQoAs504
- Kate Miller-Heidke (2019, instrumental version) 'Zero Gravity'.
- Prokofiev (1940-44) Cinderella, Ballet Suite No. 1 Op. 107 'Cinderella Goes To The Ball'.
ALT TITLE: Ben 'Tiger Loaf' Grimm
"Mates In Space" is produced by Ampel - visit https://ampel.com.au to find out more.
If you are interested in sponsoring "Mates in Space", reach out to our Director of Media and Partnerships Lauren Deighton at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you enjoyed this episode, please leave the show a rate and review on your preferred pod app.