ENGINE BLEED: The Artemis I launch scheduled for 29th August 2022 has been postponed – but why? Justin and Jack explain exactly what happened to the scheduled launch of Artemis I, before re-introducing their episodes on the Artemis Accords – now all in one place!
- ABC News (2022) 'NASA calls off launch of Artemis 1 rocket to the moon due to 'engine bleed' issue': https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-29/fuel-leaks-delay-rocket-launch/101384796
- The Guardian (2022) 'Artemis 1: Nasa cancels moon mission launch over engine problem': https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/aug/29/artemis-scrubbed-nasa-cancels-moon-launch-engine
- The Sydney Morning Herald (2022) 'Fuel leaks, engine issues force NASA to scrub launch of new moon rocket Artemis': https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-america/fuel-leaks-force-nasa-to-scrub-launch-of-new-moon-rocket-artemis-20220829-p5bdr0.html
- Space.com (2022) 'Orion spacecraft: NASA's next-gen capsule to take astronauts beyond Earth orbit': https://www.space.com/27824-orion-spacecraft.html
- Wikipedia (2022) 'Liquid hydrogen': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_hydrogen
- Wikipedia (2022) 'Liquid oxygen': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_oxygen
- The Guardian (2021) 'Nasa’s Space Launch System cuts short vital test': https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jan/16/nasa-boeing-deep-space-rocket-once-in-a-generation-test
- Time and Date (2022) '7–8 November 2022 Total Lunar Eclipse (Blood Moon)': https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2022-november-8
Let's talk about the Artemis Project: NASA’s mission to put “the first woman and the next man” on the Moon. It’s an exciting next step in our international space journey – but does the US government have ulterior motives for going back? Does Mike Pence genuinely care about women? And how are Jack and Justin going to get to the Moon themselves? Find out in this week’s episode of Mates in Space.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF COUNTRY: Mates in Space is made on Kaurna, Gadigal and Wurundjeri Country, never ceded. We pay respect to Elders past, present and emerging. We also pay respect to other First Nation peoples.
ABOUT US: Mates in Space is a podcast about how we’re going to get to space without taking all of Earth’s bulls**t up with us! Each week, your hosts Jack and Justin will tell a different space story, in preparation for Australia’s exciting new future among the stars. It’s a bit nerdy, a bit sciency, and a lot of fun. Mates in Space is brought to you by Ampel Audio, Jack Eaton and Justin McArthur. For more info, check out our website at http://matesin.space
SOCIAL LINKS: Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/matesinspace
TikTok, for some reason: https://www.tiktok.com/@matesinspace
- America to the Moon 2024: Strategic Plan for Human Exploration (2019): https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/america_to_the_moon_2024_09-16-2019.pdf
- The Seven Sisters mission: https://www.7sisters.com.au/
- NASA names the Artemis Team (text): https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-names-artemis-team-of-astronauts-eligible-for-early-moon-missions
- Update on Artemis Program to the Moon at the Eighth National Space Council Meeting (video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG2JwwOphLQ&t=8629s
- Mike Pence anecdote from the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/karen-pence-is-the-vice-presidents-prayer-warrior-gut-check-and-shield/2017/03/28/3d7a26ce-0a01-11e7-8884-96e6a6713f4b_story.html
- The Artemis Accords: Principles for Cooperation in the Civil Exploration and Use of the Moon, Mars, Comets, and Asteroids for Peaceful Purposes (2020): https://www.nasa.gov/specials/artemis-accords/img/Artemis-Accords-signed-13Oct2020.pdf
- The Outer Space Treaty: Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies (1966): https://www.unoosa.org/pdf/gares/ARES_21_2222E.pdf
- Commercial Space Law Competitiveness Act (2015): https://www.congress.gov/114/plaws/publ90/PLAW-114publ90.pdf
- Moon, Inc.: The New Zealand Model of Granting Legal Personality to Natural Resources Applied to Space (2018): https://sci-hub.se/https://doi.org/10.1089/space.2018.0025
- The Moon Agreement: Agreement Governing the Activities of States on the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies (1979): https://www.unoosa.org/pdf/gares/ARES_34_68E.pdf
- Administration Statement on Executive Order on Encouraging International Support for the Recovery and Use of Space Resources (2020) http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=55513
- Thomas Hobbes (1651) Leviathan: Or the Matter, Forme and Power of a Commonwealth, Ecclesiasticall and Civil.
- Air Bud (1997) dir. Charles Martin Smith.
ALT TITLE: Moon Rocks Are A Girl’s Best Friend