Women make up more than half of the U.S. population, yet less than a third of the nation’s elected leaders. It’s not because they’re not winning. It’s because they’re not running. And studies show that the gender gap in political ambition is just as big today as it was 20 years ago. Why, and how do we change that? Andy poses those questions to gender and politics researcher Jennifer Lawless and She Should Run founder Erin Loos Cutraro. Walk away from this interview with practical tips on how to run yourself or motivate your friend to turn that thought into an actual candidacy.
Keep up with Andy on Twitter @ASlavitt.
Follow Erin Loos Cutraro and Jennifer Lawless on Twitter @erinlooscutraro and @jenlawlessUVA.
Joining Lemonada Premium is a great way to support our show and get bonus content. Subscribe today at bit.ly/lemonadapremium.
Support the show by checking out our sponsors!
Check out these resources from today’s episode:
- Learn about She Should Run, a nonprofit that encourages women from all political leanings, ethnicities, sexual identities, and backgrounds to see themselves as future candidates: https://sheshouldrun.org/
- Read Erin’s article, “Is the Roe v. Wade news making you angry? You should run for office,” here: https://fortune.com/2022/05/04/roe-v-wade-news-women-abortion-angry-run-office-representation-politics-erin-loos-cutraro/
- Check out Jennifer’s research, “The Gender Gap in Political Ambition: Everything You Need to Know in 10 Charts,” here: https://thelawmakers.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Gender-Gap-in-Political-Ambitions_Report_Final-Jen-Lawless-2022-3-1.pdf
- Find vaccines, masks, testing, treatments, and other resources in your community here: https://www.covid.gov/
- Order Andy’s book, “Preventable: The Inside Story of How Leadership Failures, Politics, and Selfishness Doomed the U.S. Coronavirus Response,” here: https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250770165
Stay up to date with us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram at @LemonadaMedia.
For additional resources, information, and a transcript of the episode, visit lemonadamedia.com/show/inthebubble.